Monday, May 11, 2009

DeGrade

I have no people; indeed, no heritage.
I am the confused mix of history and chance
That leaves ancestral lands laid waste
And bares the emptiness of tradition.
I am the descendant of liars and thieves,
Of slavemongers, con-men, and whores --
I have no claims to divinity:
No Son of Heaven, or God, just man and mud.
I have no family homestead, no inheritance
Of attics, basements, or cemeteries;
Neither temples of grandmothers to pray to,
Nor churches sacred and fore sworn.
I do not lament this as a loss;
Yet never having, I have no respect.

2 comments:

EarthCitizen #23 said...

OK,, follow links here from you being on Professor Hex's Fan list on facebook. Thought ,, 'wild' will get to see others who read PH and saw you lived in Charlotte area, then you read the Tao Te Ching! very cool.
Then I came here,, read this first poem I come across and was slammed.
This is good. It describes so much I have thought myself.
So, thought you would like to know, someone thought this VERY good!

C R R Lavene said...

Thank you for your kind words. Prof Hex is a lot of fun ... I am glad we had a connection here through that!